Late last night most of us witnessed our President declaring a state of emergency in the fight against the Coronavirus pandemic that is spreading like a wildfire throughout the world. With this state of emergency came a ban on gatherings of more than 100 people, which has in effect put the events industry on its knees for the foreseeable future.
The big question in many people's minds right now is for how long this state of emergency will be in place. The reality is we are in uncharted territory here and hence we have no idea how long it’s going to take to get on top of this outbreak. We do know that 14 days is the stated incubation period of the COVID-19 virus, and we also know that schools will be closed at least until the end of the easter weekend.
So with this in mind we are postponing the two events we have within this period, notably:
22 March 2020: TSSL#4 Paarl Mountain Nature Reserve
Postponed to 7 June 2020
28 March 2020: WWF-SA Earth Hour Adventure (CPT & JHB).
Postponement date TBC
What happens beyond the end of April is anyone's guess and hence we are not making any decisions on our events beyond this time frame. More specifically, entries for Jonkershoek & Helderberg Mountain Challenge races will remain open.
As we all collectively travel down this new and uncharted path we will just have to adapt as we go. From our side, we will make sure we communicate with you timeously with respect to changes in our events calendar.
What is most important now is that we all take heed of the preventative advice out there and first and foremost look after our loved ones.
Yours in trail running,
Owen, Tam and the Wildrunner team