fbpx MCS Update September 2020 | Mountain Challenge

MCS Update September 2020

As we head into September and Level 2 of the National COVID-19 lockdown, change is afoot... but, the wheels continue to turn slowly. 

The current situation for trail running events is that the government gazette clearly (still) states a maximum capacity for any gathering of 50 people, and this includes events. Also stated in the gazette is that negotiation at ministerial level can only happen through your sporting federation. In the case of trail running, this - debateably - falls under ASA (Athletics South Africa). At this stage, ASA have not made any moves to assit with opening up the sport of running events and as such, running events are currently (still) not allowed. For a more comprehensive outline on this, take a look at our latest Wildrunner news here

So where does this leave us with the Mountain Challenge Series and sepcifically, the Jonkershoek Mountain Challenge? With a minimun of 2-3 months preparation time for any event, and all of the regulations we are to navigate, we have decided to move the JMC to the weekend of 07-08 November 2020. These dates were initially the Marloth Mountain Challenge dates, and that event will now fall away until 2021. Owen has also done a 'live' update on the MCS situation on Facebook - if you missed it, please take a look here

With regard to the Helderberg Mountain Challenge, we are still planning to run the event in a 'Phantom Rally' style, albeit in this case a marked course which will be managed over a weekend. With the Helderberg Reserve now open, we will finalise these plans and communicate accordingly. Unfortunately, weekend dates are beginning to run thin for the remainder of the year, with the scramble to reschedule events that could not take place earlier in the year. We are eager to be up and 'running' as soon as possible, so watch this space.